1. Half the world — nearly three billion people — live on less than two dollars a day
2. Less than one percent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn't happen.
3. “The lives of 1.7 million children will be needlessly lost this year because world governments have failed to reduce poverty levels”
4. According to UNICEF, 30,000 children die each day due to poverty. That is about 210,000 children each week, or just under 11 million children under five years of age, each year.
5. 15 million children orphaned due to HIV/AIDS (similar to the total children population in Germany or United Kingdom)
6. An estimated 600m children live in absolute poverty. Every year more than 10 million children die of hunger and preventable diseases.
What will our response be?
• Mt. 19:21 “Jesus said to him, ‘If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come follow Me.’”
• Lk. 3:11 “He answered and said to them, ‘He who has two tunics, let him give to him who has none; and he who has food, let him do likewise.’”
• 1 Tim. 6:18-19 “Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share”
• 1 Jn. 3:17-18 “But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? My little children let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.”